Tuesday, August 15, 2017

An Afternoon in Himeji

As I mentioned in the previous post, I went to Himeji this afternoon to meet up with my partner from work. Himeji is her hometown, and so she showed me around a little bit.  This was my second time in Himeji, but the first time I went I wasn't really able to do or see much because there were so many people out and about. 

Howeer, this time, much more happened!  When I first met up with her, we wandered around for a while looking for somewhere to eat lunch, and she kept talking about how strange it felt for her to be there with me, and how things had changed a lot.  We eventually settled on a cafe, and got ourselves some pizza! (I honestly can't rememer the last time I ate pizza!) 


Also, I have to give a shout out to her mom!! The reason for that is because her mom gave her some money so that she could buy us lunch, admission to the castle, garden, and whatever else we wanted.  I was incredibly surprised, but it turned out that she said her mom wanted to thank me for always looking after, helping and being nice to my partner. Isn't that something I should do anyways???  Well, whatever the reason, it was definitely appreciated! Her mom is so kind!! Thank you so much for today!! It was fun!!

After lunch, we went to Himeji's main tourist spot -- Himeji Castle.



This time (unlike the last time I was there), we went inside the castle (the line wasn't too horribly long). The signs they had around said that it would take us about an hour to get in, but it was only maybe 20 minutes or so.  Once you get into the castle (the section we stated in was really dark), there's a designated circuit to follow, and it takes you up to the top of the castle, and eventually back down again.  There were quite a few people inside, but we were still able to enjoy the views and the cooling breeze that was coming in through the windows.







Some views from (and of) the castle
After the castle, we went back down the main road, where we spotted some fortunes (for love), and so, this happened:


After paying, reach in, grab your fortune, and then go check it out!
So, apparently the fortune (which is super cute by the way!) that I got is one of the best ones possible.  The main part of the fortune said that things will go well/smoothly for me and I just need to have confidence or believe in myself.  Underneath that, is my lucky item: soap! Next it says that the hint for the lucky item is 'blue'.  And the final section at the bottem says that "Miracles will happen". 
This was actually my first time to do this, and it was really interesting and fun!

The next thing we did was go over to garden which is just down the road from the castle.  It's called Koko-en.  My partner told me that the best time to see it is in the fall at night time, when all the trees are colorful and illuminated.



There were so many koi!!


Part way through the gardens, we could hear some traditional Japanese music and went to go check it out, but it was in an area that we didn't have access to.  So instead, we found a little tea house, and got out of the heat for a few minutes by going in to do tea ceremony (drink some matcha and eat a sweet).

Tea ceremony time!
Also, if you were wondering why there are uncharacteristically so many photos of me...it was so my partner teacher could show her mom the things we did, and that we had fun...

As we were walking through the gardens, I took the opportunity to ask about some Japanese things, such as, why does the castle have things that look like horns on top.  I'm not sure if I actually got an answer to that question though.  Because....when I asked I made a gesture, and she thought it was too cute, and then so many pictures making that pose.  Like this:

 
Look! Me and the castle are the same!!

After the garden, we walked around a little bit more, checked out some of the souvenir stores, and eventually stopped one more time for a drink in a cafe.

Writing a thank you to her mom....
It was a fun day!!  Thank you so much!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a rather unrelated aside, on my way back home, I decided to take a bit of a long cut, and came across a lot of people clustered around for some sort of event.  But at that point, I didn't know what it was, whether it hadn't started yet, or had already finished (and I wanted to eat too...) so I kept walking.  When I got to the other side of the water, it had started.  It was some kind of light/water/music show.  Seemed kind of interesting, but I didn't really want to go back to all of those people, so I watched for a little bit from where I was.

 
If this video isn't working, try clicking here to watch.
 
On the way home, the lighting was also really nice, and the clouds kind of cool, so I got this photo too!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment