Tuesday, December 15, 2015

12/12 at Ritsurin Garden (12月の栗林公園)

This past weekend, the weather was absolutely amazing!  It was between 14 and 16 during the day on both Saturday and Sunday!  Felt like summer (almost!).  Also, Saturday was December 12...so 12/12!  Originally, I had planned to go out to somewhere new and do some hiking, but I got a little bit of a later start than I wanted, missed the train I wanted to take (due to forgetting my transport card in my other purse, and having to turn around half-way to the station ^_^;) and the morning sunniness gave way to cloudiness, so I decided to stick a little closer to home.  However, I still wanted to go outside and enjoy the nice weather, so I decided to go into Ritsurin Park, check out if there were still any colorful leaves, and maybe do a little bit more Christmas shopping afterwards (yes, I know, I left it kind of late this year...but it's been really busy this year)

When I got into the part there weren't very many people there at all, but that was actually kind of nice, because the past few times I've been there were SO many people there that it wasn't as enjoyable.

Anyway, as you're about to see, there were still lots of trees with nice colors, although they were definitely past their peak, and many had lost a lot of leaves already, there was still enough around to make it enjoyable.  And other trees and plants as well that were still green.  Let me re-iterate...December 12!! As a Canadian, this is so incredibly awesome, since back home, some trees will start changing color by the end of August and most, if not all, have lost their leaves before the end of October.

I think the best way to explain and show this particular outing is through photos, so...lots of photos for this blog!! Enjoy!


The first colorful tree I saw this Saturday!

Can you believe these colors? They're real -- no editing here!
Nice reflection in the pond


Leaves littering the path
So bright...really!


I really liked this photo...
 
Took a side path that led behind the small river and up the mountain a little bit and found this

Off that same path

Leaves, leaves, everywhere!
 
It's December, it's December, it's December. Convinced yet? I don't know if I am. What is this green-ness?


And here follows my meeting with a heron out for a stroll...


"Hmm...should I, shouldn't I? What to do?...."

"Ok, one slow step at a time..."


"Ok, it's not so bad, but I'm not going to move any more...leave me alone human...."
Pretty backdrop for this bridge
They're like little stars!
 
Bright colors, anyone?

What color would you call these leaves??

With the stones, amazing coloring!
 
Does anyone remember that story I told from one of my first trips to Japan about the gardener blowing leaves into place?
So what do you think? Natural or assisted falling pattern? I'm curious.
Also in the background...Japanese style...close-up photos of the foliage.
Oh look, I get to meet another heron this time....but this one's sleepy!


Mountain, tea house, island, colors, heron....did I miss anything here?
 
Ritsurin Garden activity...riding the boat around some of the islands...
 
Some interesting berries I found...

Ritsurin's pines are always interesting to look at! Made this way through lots of care and some bonsai techniques

Final photo...bright leaves contrasting with the pine needles, and some colorful carp

And that concludes the photo session from Ritsurin this December!
December. December. December. December. Hmmm...no matter how many times I say it, it's not really sticking so well. ^_-

I posted a good amount of these photos (probably mostly all repeats), here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment